The purpose of the MidAmerica Regional Public Health Leadership Institute (MARPHLI) is to ensure a prepared public health system by providing leadership training to local and state health officials and their community partners. MARPHLI seeks to address the need for a sustained effort to develop the future leadership of the public health workforce by providing a curriculum that frames the learning experience in the context of the public health core functions of assessment, policy development, and assurance. On a yearly basis, the Institute provides training to leaders at all organizational levels within the public health system. The MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice is convinced that leaders include not only agency directors, but also career public health workers who are responsible for implementing the public health mission over time and across political administrations.
In recognition of the principle that theory and research must be translated into practice, MARPHLI brings together a select group of Fellows and a cadre of faculty and mentors. This group of educators and public health leaders annually examine the characteristics, skills, attributes and successful practices of effective public health leadership. The year-long leadership training begins with a three day institute. Those designated as fellows will have many opportunities to interact with team mentors, and to put to use skills learned during the institute. National speakers, case studies, workshops and small group discussions facilitated by mentors highlight the institute. Following the initial three-day training, fellows and mentors reconvene at six and twelve month intervals. The goal of the institute is to assist state and local public health practitioners who have been identified as holding leadership positions, to develop greater organizational effectiveness in order to carry out the public health core functions of assessment, policy development, and assurance.
MARPHLI Program Objectives
- Gain an understanding of the characteristics of effective public health leadership
- Expand knowledge about effective public health leadership
- Enhance leadership abilities to carry out the public health core functions
- Learn how to successfully apply leadership skills within the public health system
- Examine strategies to create a shared vision
- Study models for successful application of leadership skills in the public health environment
- Provide a forum for discussion of leadership issues with Mentors
- Develop a national network of public health leaders
- Strengthen the relationship between public health practice and academia
Learn about the mix of technologies that MARPHLI uses to run the program: MARPHLI Online Learning and Collaboration
MARPHLI Year 20 Kick-Off Conference – View information, resources, photos, and video from 2012′s MARPHLI Kick-Off Conference
MARPHLI Year 20 Graduating Conference – View information, resources, photos, and video from 2012′s MARPHLI Graduating Conference