We are happy to announce that Sophie Naji was awarded the IPHA Member Award of Merit at the 76th Illinois Public Health Association (IPHA) Annual Meeting on September 20, 2017.
This award is given to IPHA members who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and service to IPHA and public health for many years. We’ve seen you do that and more with your work at the MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice and we couldn’t be prouder. Congratulations, Sophie!
2017 CCDPH Food Summit
Understanding the Impact of Food Insecurity/Hunger on Population Health
We are excited to announce that the 2017 CCDPH Food Summit is now open for registration. Register now to secure your spot!
View the flyer here: 2017 Food Summit- Register NOW!
September 29th & September 30th, 2017
Loyola University, Center for Translation Research and Education
2160 South 1st Avenue, Maywood, IL 60153
Friday September 29th: 1-6:45 p.m. with networking reception
Saturday September 30th: 8am-3:30pm
$50 for two days inclusive of registration, learning materials and meals
Join Cook County Department of Public Health at the 2017 Food Summit to:
- Understand the human toll of food insecurity/hunger on population health in Cook County, Illinois
- Increase understanding of the intersection between food insecurity/hunger on population health
- Connect Suburban Cook County organizations to food insecurity/hunger on population health resources
- Promote national and local successes and peer-to-peer networking
- Highlight state, local, & government initiatives that address food insecurity/hunger on population health
- Promote local action to support & advocate for initiatives that address food insecurity/hunger on population health
Registration Link & More Information:
Please contact Rani Saxena at email@example.com or 312-996-7919
This event is supported by the Cook County Department of Public Health in collaboration with Loyola University and the MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice at UIC School of Public Health
View recorded presentations from Illinois Public Health Association’s 75th Annual Meeting held in Springfield, IL.
Theme: Public Health on the Cutting Edge
Dates: September 14-15, 2016
Promoting Health Equity in Public Health Practice: President’s Challenge to Confront Racism
Speaker: Camara Jones, PhD – APHA President
Clinical and Public Health Interventions Session:
Involving Community Groups in Park Renovations
Sandy Slater, Associate Professor – University of Illinois at Chicago
Anita Bontu – University of Illinois at Chicago
Role and Value of Public Health in Health Transformation Efforts
Speaker: John Auerbach, MBA – CDC Associate Director for Policy
The Food Summit, convened by the Cook County Department of Public Health, in collaboration with Loyola University and the MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health, brought together public health professionals, leaders in faith- and community-based organizations, and community members to build understanding of the significant role of food in preventing, developing, and resolving chronic diseases, as well as the ways that nutrition can support the health and well-being of communities.
Visit Cook County Public Health’s website at http://www.cookcountypublichealth.org/healthy-hotspot/food-summit-2016 to view videotaped conference presentations from local experts who are building knowledge of and access to healthy food in their communities, as well as the following national experts:
- Dr. T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Jacob Golid Schurman Professor Emeritus of Nutritional Biochemistry and co-author of best sellers The China Study and Whole;
- Dr. Michael Greger, Public Health Director at The Humans Society of the United States, author of the New York Times Best Seller How Not To Die, and founder of the website NutritionFacts.org;
- Dr. Liz Lipski, Director of Academic Development/Nutrition Programs at the Maryland University of Integrative Health and author of several books, includingDigestive Wellness and Leaky Gut Syndrome.
- Dr. Terry Mason, Chief Operating Officer of the Cook County Department of Public Health, leader in plant-based nutrition, lifestyle and healthcare, and host of the popliar radio show, “The Doctor in the House” on WVON 1690AM;
- Dr. Baxter Montgomery, Founder of Houston Cardiac Association and the Montgomery Heart & Wellness Center, and Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology at the University of Texas and a Fellow of The American College of Cardiology;
- Dr. Richard Oppenlander, sustainability consultant, author of Food Choice and Sustainability, and founder and president of the non-profit organization, “Inspire Awareness Now.”
Early Bird Registration Rate Ends TODAY for the IPHA Annual Meeting!
Be sure to take advantage of the early bird rate for the IPHA Annual Meeting. Registration goes up $25 starting August 13
Click here to read read about and register for the meeting: